Monday, September 8, 2008

Blog Update

The stomach flu has swept - more like crept - through our ENTIRE family the past two weeks. I was the last one to get it, so at least I was able to take care of everyone else, but when it was my turn, I was down for the count. I couldn't get vertical even long enough to sit up at the computer to check emails/blogs, let alone post anything. There were a couple things I wanted to post during that time though, so now I'm back-tracking. Bear with me.



Remembering Grandpa Chapman

September 5th was David's Grandpa Chapman's birthday. He passed away in May of last year. He was ninety-one years old. Our family lived with and cared for Grandpa for 2 1/2 years until he required more care than we could provide, and he was moved into a lovely nursing home. I always had a special place in my heart for Grandpa. Growing up, I didn't have a grandpa. My dad's father passed away long before I was born, and my Mom's father passed away when I was very young, so I didn't have that relationship that a granddaughter has with her grandpa. I tagged along with my cousins and "adopted" their Grandpa Worthington as my own, but it still wasn't enough. After living near Grandpa Chapman for several years, we built that relationship that I thought I had missed out on. During the time we lived with him, Aidan was born. From day one, Grandpa couldn't get enough of his little "Punkins". He was constantly by his side. Aidan gave Grandpa a reason to keep going those last few years. Grandpa's first words every morning were, "Where's Punkins?" Grandpa was always feeding him, and not always things he should be eating either... hot sauce, steak off the end of a knife, a mouth full of Milkduds. They had a special relationship though. Grandpa loved to take Aidan on walks. He would put Aidan in his wheelchair and push him up and down the street. He was so proud of him. We made some great memories in the short time we had with Grandpa. I cherish the time we got to spend with him, and I know my kids are greatful for the experiences they shared with him. We sure miss him, but we know he's so happy to be back with his "Darling Little Bride" who preceded him in death by ten years. We love you Grandpa!






Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad Chapman





September 6th was David's mom and dad's 46th wedding anniversary. Right now they are on a trip across the country. They got to spend their anniversary at the Grand Hotel from the movie "Somewhere In Time". They returned this April from a two year LDS mission in Colorado, and are soon headed on another one in January to Charleston, West Virginia. They have a huge, beautiful family... Nine children + their spouses, and I think the grandchildren count is nearing forty. Actually, over forty now with all the inherited grandchildren! They have always been such great examples to us. They have spent their lives serving each other and those around them. They are also still so in love. We love you Mom and Dad! Happy Anniversary! Thank you for setting such a great example for us to follow! Well, TRY to follow. Nobody can do it like you two.

6 comments:

ann said...

I'm soooo happy that you are feeling better. Well said! You are headed straight to heaven for all that you have done for our family. Love the slide show, brought tears to my eyes, also great piture of mom and dad, where was that? I have no words for how wonderful I think you are, hopefully you know how I feel, love ann

Audie and Candice said...

Hey,
I'm glad you're feeling better. Those pictures of Aiden and your Grandpa Chapman are so cute. Jolie and Aiden look alot alike!!

Unknown said...

sweet pictures of Grandpa. What memories to have for your kids and for you! Love it! Glad you're feeling better. The flu definately and literally STINKS!!!

Brooke said...

What a sweet tribute to your grandpa and in-laws! They are lucky to have you as part of their family! There's no question who Grandpa Chapman's favorite was! I loved those pictures, especially the ones with both his and Aidans hands :) I am glad to hear that you are doing better, being sick is stinks, there isn't time for mothers to get the flu!

Cheryl K. Hadlock said...

Just have one thing to say about Grandpa Chapman " MMMM MUSH"
and of course "MMM Spicy"

Love Cher

richnliz said...

It was good to see you and the rest of the D Chapmans on Saturday!! You looked beautiful as always.