Monday, October 6, 2008

Show Low High School Football...A Family Affair!


We went up to Show Low this last weekend to visit our family up there, and to watch conference with Ann and Steve. Three of David's sisters and their families live up in the White Mountains now...Ann and Rebecca in Linden, and Kelly in Taylor. On Friday night we went to the Show Low High School varsity football game. Our brother-in-law, Randy Ricedorff, is the head coach, and our other brother-in-law, Brock Bevell is an assistant coach. Our nephew Rathen, who is just a sophomore, is the starting quarterback for the varsity team, and our little niece Gracie got to cheer during 2nd quarter and do a dance during half time with a group of 170 little girls in the "lil' line". Oh yeah, how could I forget Rhett winning the sit-up competition during half-time with 73 sit-ups in 60 seconds?! It was like a mini family reunion!




Tayvin and Beau showed off their SLHS "Bling"!






Catelyn, Elsie, and Darcey cheered from the stands!






Josh got all bundled up to watch the big game!





Gracie was so cute and did such a great job cheering and dancing with the Lil' Line!




We love going up there! I'm a country girl at heart. There's nothing like sitting outside on the porch in the morning, listening to the elk bugling to each other, letting your kids run wild all day, and then later that afternoon, having your neighbor bring you a big bag of freshly-picked produce from his garden. That's how I grew up, minus the elk bugling, and that would be my ideal life ... slower-paced, more simple. We go up there every chance we get, and if we could, we would move there in a heart-beat. Thanks to Ann and Steve for always letting us impose on them and being the BEST HOSTS EVER!!! Ann is quite the domestic goddess! Every meal is a production. Even something as simple as preparing a green salad, which to me means opening a bag and dumping it into a bowl, ends up being a gourmet dish - Spring mixed greens, red onion, apple slices, crumbled blue cheese, and last but not least, candied pecans (which she candied herself) all topped with a strawberry vinaigrette dressing. So good, and no big deal to her, but to someone like me who doesn't cook much, it's PHENOMENAL!!! She also made delicious enchiladas with cilantro-lime rice, a fresh peach pie, homemade bread, a lemon cheesecake, and our favorite thing she makes every time we visit - yummy buttermilk pancakes with buttermilk syrup, just to name a few things. The thing is, I really think she LOVES doing it! It's no wonder they have guests all the time. But it's not just the food. The tone in their home is one of family, love, and happiness. We just love to be around them. Watching conference with them is the best. David came back down to the valley with Steve to attend the priesthood session with Steve's dad, brother, and brother-in-law. They went out for sushi afterward. Not to be left out, Ann and I got take-out sushi that evening. Jolie really liked it, and Avery and Ethan both were "daring" enough to eat a fish egg or two. Anyways, we're back home now - Reality check - back to arguing and fighting over our cold cereal and Top Ramen. Okay, I'm not really that bad. Actually, I've been so inspired by Ann that I've got bread rising in the kitchen, I'm making a peach cobbler for dessert with the beautiful peaches Ann and Steve gave us, I ran three miles this morning, and I'm planning our FHE lesson for tonight! I'm not even kidding! Hanging around with great, positive, productive people tends to rub off on you sometimes, and being fed spiritually by our Prophet and other leaders of our church just makes you want to be a little better. Hopefully I'll keep it up! We love you Ann and Steve! Thanks for making our weekend so great!

3 comments:

ann said...

Could you write my life history, you really make us sound great, but come on we are just as crazy as the next family. You left out the part were I yelled at my kids and fought with steve. But I like your version much better. You guys are welcome anytime, we love having you and I really do love the cooking thing, but I didn't used to. Funny how we used the same pics, almost!

Dayna said...

That is awesome! It makes me miss home, good food & good company. Greg and I were just thinking we need to head up to the white mountains to see FALL. Are the colors changing yet?

lesueur family said...

Isn't ann the best host. Her place is just as good or better than any bed and breakfast! Sunds like you had a wonderful weekend. I miss you guys, we need to get together soon.