Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Mammy's Little Baby Loves Shortnin' Bread!

Put on the skillet, put on the lid, Aidan's gonna make a little shortnin' bread!
Aidan found some wheat and decided to make some bread...

He ground the wheat into flour...

(Pay no attention to the Fry's bag on the counter.)






Kneaded it and let it rise...





Formed it into loaves...




And baked it in the oven!

Mmmmm! We love homemade bread!

I remember reading a history of David's grandma, Elsie Burk Chapman, in which it talked about how when she was just eight years old, she would mix homemade bread, twelve loaves at a time, and she had to stand on a crate because she couldn't reach the top of the table. I may be off a little, but it makes for a good story. Anyhow, I figured if she was doing it at eight, it wouldn't hurt to start Aidan at three. We actually inherited Elsie's big, stainless steel mixing bowl. It still has her name on it on a piece of masking tape. It's obviously not the same one she mixed it in when she was eight, but I imagine she's mixed many a loaf of bread in this bad boy.

I decided to let Aidan help me make some bread to keep him from playing on the computer all day, which he would do if I would let him, and believe me, I have. He had fun, and while we were doing it, I was teaching him the song, "Shortnin' Bread". My dad used to sing me that song when I was little, and I can't believe I hadn't taught it to him sooner. It brought back good memories, and we got to eat some yummy, homemade bread in the end.

6 comments:

ann said...

Look at you! Bread making and a history lesson and entertainment all rolled into one!

Bre said...

Hey Mery!! thanks so much for all the support and love that you and your family have given me over the years!!! I am eternaly greatful for everything that has come of it! I love you guys and can;t wait to see you in December!
Love breezy

Kayla said...

Mmmm! That looks good. My dad bakes bread a lot for Sunday dinners. We got to come home with a loaf this past Sunday. It's grandma's recipe.

Cheryl K. Hadlock said...

Your bread looks great! You are gonna love my Halloween costume! Tell you about it later. PS. I got my hair chopped!!

Cher

Rusty and Ashley said...

Ok, so I don't remember ever putting together how I am related to your husband, but Elsie is my Grandpa's sister! Wow, we are closer than I thought! I just had to write and say how much I admire you as a mom. You are always around and doing things with/for your kids! I have always admired that! Keep up the good work girlfriend! Oh, and as family, shouldn't you be sharing the bread???!?!?!?!

lesueur family said...

So cute! Love how you're teaching him now. Looks like he did a dang good job! I do need to get a good wheat bread recipe. maybe you could share it with us on your next blog entry!