Thursday, October 9, 2008

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all!

I recall a phrase that a wise, old mother rabbit once told her young son, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all". I come from a family of name callers! I'm one myself. Whether it be good or bad, we always end our sentences with a name, and not usually the one that belongs to the person we are talking to. Where, to most people a term of endearment might be "sweetheart" or "honey", ours were "poopy head" and "butt hugger". Anyhow, growing up I had some older brothers that liked to tease. I had red hair, crooked teeth, and freckles, so I was a pretty easy target, but for some reason, they always found the ugliest GUYS to name me after. I think I could've handled it a little better if they were at least naming me after ugly girls, which they did too, (a girl in our neighborhood whose last name resembled swine) but these are a couple of the meanest things they called me.

ROCKY, from the movie Mask. I mean come on, I'm sure he has a sweet spirit, but they didn't call the movie Mask for nothing.




MALACHI, from the Children of the Corn movies. One of my brothers would follow me around saying, "They want you too, Malachi." (a line from the movie)



Now days I'm positive that NAPOLEON DYNAMITE would've made the list.







As would CARROT TOP!



I'm sitting here, laughing my head off, but when you're a little, awkward, red-headed girl, it can do some damage. I'm all grown up now, and I understand that when we're younger we do some silly things. The problem is, I still do it!





When Avery's being a stinker, I've been known to bust out NELLY OLSEN.



Aidan has a HUGE head, and when he gets in front of the TV I might say, "Hey, JIMMY NEUTRON, could you move your noggin?"

I'm usually just trying to be funny, which sometimes backfires on me. Children have tender, little feelings, and I know I should be more cautious. Obviously, I'm setting a horrible example for my kids, and in turn they are name-callers themselves. I need to heed the advice of that old, mother rabbit and just KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT!!! It's time to break the cycle! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all! We know I can't keep my mouth shut, so I'll try to think of something nice to say.

8 comments:

richnliz said...

You posted this at 9am and no one has commented anything. Maybe they don't have anything nice to say.

I was the butt of many jokes in my family. Like: Buck Rogers (buck teeth) and Gila monster (or lizard). Sometimes they still call me that.

You are BEAUTIFUL Meredith!!

David and Meredith said...

I really wasn't posting this to get sympathy. Everyone gets called names as a child, and I'm totally over it. I just listen to my kids calling each other names and saying unkind things to each other and that hurts me more than any name I ever got called. I always quote Thumper's mother to them.

ann said...

Yes, I think name calling is the best part of growing up! It's best to call your kids names behind their back though.

My favorite names for you are, Tyra, and Rihanna.

I'm going to have a nightmare about that mask picture, and the carrot top one! Yikes!

I know you had to be laughing so hard you cried while typing this.

Unknown said...

okay, i'm sad that we aren't best friends and hang out all the time cause you truly make me laugh and laugh. i love your sense of humor and we are just one in the same, really. i was called all those and many, many more sister! i had the red hair, freckles, and i was of course chubby, so there you go! beat that! ha ha ha ha ha! i believe wendy for sure was on the list, strawberry shortcake, and my brothers fave most meanest, Heat Miser!!! from the Christmas movie.... so so mean. he just calls me heat now, for short. it's tradition. what do you do?

lesueur family said...

Yes, I too am one of those red headed freckly kids that got teased. Not to say that those names hurt, But look at us red heads now, I think we all turned out pretty good!!

Jon & Sanja Jarvis said...

You are a blogging fool! Now that you point it out, I do kinda see the resemblences. I too am a naughty name caller, but yours are like sweet little nicknames. Some of my favorites have always been...stupid, idiot, moron.

Cheryl K. Hadlock said...

Meredith I just laughed so hard that my AVON mascara dripped into my eyes as I was crying and burned like Hell! There you got a little revenge "dead worms". Love ya!

utahvickie said...

I just wanted to tell you that I enjoy your blog. You are just a cute mom. I love reading about your family. Lots of times it brings tears to my eyes.