Monday, June 9, 2008

Got Sushi?


Ann and Steve, this one's for you! I hope these pictures don't cause you to salivate all over your computer keyboard. A couple of years ago, David's sister, Ann, and her husband, Steve, introduced us to SUSHI!!! I never thought eating raw fish could be such a fun, and surprisingly appetizing experience, but we took to it right away. We've tried some different, crazy dishes, but we've found our favorites, and now we crave the stuff. We can only get it a few times a year, on special occasions, because it can be pretty pricey, but we decided to treat ourselves on Saturday night and off we went. The place we go is called "Got Sushi". It just looks like a little whole in the wall in a strip mall in Mesa (NW corner of Power and McDowell), but someone who has eaten sushi all over the world highly recommended this place, so that's where we go.




David has mastered the chopsticks.








I, on the other hand, prefer to use my hands.






We started off with a little yellowtail and tuna.







Followed by some crab - I don't like the seaweed wrap, so I just take it off.







Eel - this was just for David.






Salmon! I love this one! It has a thin little slice of lemon on it that makes it extra tasty. Check out the rose garnish made out of a piece of salmon.




My very favorite dish is the "Got One" roll! It's got cooked fish wrapped in a cucumber roll topped with shredded cabbage and spicy mayo. There's other stuff in it, but I can't remember what. I don't care though, because it's just so darn good!




And here's another roll, the "CJ" roll. My favorite part about this roll is the smelt roe (fish eggs) on the top. It's the orange stuff. I love to bite each little one between my teeth and feel it burst. I love food with cool textures.





Look at this butterfly made out of a carrot. These sushi chefs do some pretty cool stuff. It's almost too pretty to eat.




When you sit up at the sushi bar, at the end of your meal, they give you an orange. It's already cut and sectioned for you. Mmmmmm!


The next thing I want to try is going to the "Melting Pot" and eating fondue. I have heard that it is just such a fun experience, and it's also so yummy. If I ever make it there, you know I'll have my camera with me. What is this world coming to when people take pictures of everything they do and post it on the computer?

6 comments:

ann said...

Hillarious, and yes i was salivating. I so miss having sushi on a regular basis but i miss you guys more. Thanks for embarassing yourself and david so we could see all that yummy stuff.

ann said...

This is Steve...Ann asked me to make that clear. Let me first start off by saying that David looks extremely handsome...and intimidating with those chopsticks. However, he's holding them upside down (that's a joke...Ann and I had to have a discussion of whether "upside down" or "backwards" is the appropriate term - they are actually fine David). Having said that, that sushi looks dang good! So good in fact, if I had any equity in my home left, I would consider taking out a second (or third...that was Ann's joke) just to have one of everything shown...save the eel, which I am not a fan of. I would, however, liked to have seen the "chimichanga" roll, as an expression of welcoming to those who are reluctant to leave the comfort of their mexican food for the adventure of this pacific cuisine. Thanks for the pictures.

Audie and Candice said...

YEA!!! I'm so glad you have a blog now. We'll have to plan a double date with you guys and go out for sushi. Audie really likes it, I've only had it once, but it was good!! Those are some sweet pictures!

Brooke said...

Wow, I never knew you were so brave with your food choices! Shawn would find this more appetizing than myself, however I would at least give it a try (maybe when we're in AZ next time). I love your blog! You are a natural at it! And what a darling little girl!!! All of your kids are cuties! I am excited to keep in touch through our blogs!

Kayla said...

I'm SO glad you have a blog! I just found you from Cheryl's. How are you? Email me at kaylafornia83@gmail.com and send me your email so I can invite you to my blog.

Cheryl K. Hadlock said...

Hey Mere! I tried sushi last weekend at the campground. My trout was very undercooked and I ended up throwing it away. I caught it myself though. California rolls are my favorite and I am not sure that is considered sushi. Miss ya! Love Cher