Monday, May 12, 2008

Latex allergy?


With Jolie's birthday last week came some major discomfort for Ethan. Her birthday was on Tuesday, but it wasn't until he woke up on Thursday morning that I noticed Ethan's face was red and swollen. This has happened a few other times in the past and the doctor said that it was an allergic reaction to something, and that I should just give him some Benadryll and rub on some cream for the itching, but we've never been able to pin point what brings it on until now. I always take pictures of him when it happens, so I did a little detective work, and compared all of the pictures etc., and I came to the conclusion that it always happens right around the kids' birthdays. Birthdays = Balloons! LATEX!!! When I looked it up on line it confirmed my diagnosis. Don't get me wrong, I'm by no means a doctor, but it just all makes sense. I need to go have him allergy tested. He already has eczema and his skin is so dry and sensitive, but with this allergic reaction, he has just been so miserable. His face is so tight and itchy. He stayed home from school on Thursday and Friday. I lathered him up with a thick layer of vaseline last night, and when he woke up this morning, he scrubbed his face with a washcloth. It looks so much better! He was so embarrassed about it. He didn't want to go up during sacrament meeting yesterday when the Primary kids sang to their moms for Mother's Day, but he went up and sang to me. He's such a tough kid. At least now we know what might be the cause of it.

1 comment:

Cheryl K. Hadlock said...

I bet you are right about the latex allergy. As for Exema, Candice has had it real bad for 5 years and Curtis had it. I heard it was heredity. I am glad the latex didn't send Ethan in to anafalactic shock!! Better see a Dr. about this. Love Cher